Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Eid

EID MUBARAK!!!

So, today (Tuesday) happened to be declared Eid in Jordan. Al-hamdoulillah. I went visiting last night and as it turned out wound up with less than 2 hours sleep by the time I rolled out of bed at fajr and had to start getting ready for the Eid prayer. The masjid was full, but not packed which was nice, and EVERYONE (locals, foreigners, visitors, residents etc) went around giving salams, kissing each other, spearding the "Eid love" - so different to Sydney where people only greet their family and ignore those they don't know. It took at least 45mins just to get through the greetings alone! Subhan'allah. Such a community feel. I wish Eid could be done again tomorrow. After prayer I headed to the girls place across the way and cooked up a pancake storm for Eid breakfast. There was a brief moment where imminent disaster was almost a sureity - the gas ran out mid-pancake making! Al-hamdoulillah teh haris had stocked up and he quite happily rushed up and changed the gas cannisters over for us. Man I ate so many pancakes I thought I was going to be ill! I came home after that, called home and then promptly fell into bed and to sleep. Was meant to be going to dinner tonight, but one of my flatties is really ill and to be honest I'm still tired and my head has that fuzzy feeling one gets from combining too much sugar and not enough sleep. Al-hamdoulillah.
So I hear that there is dessention in Sydney once again with regards to Eid - May Allah swt bless all your families on Eid and fill the coming year with barakah allowing them to see yet another glorious Ramadan. Amin.

It seems that winter is slowly (but not unnoticably) decending upon Amman. The temperatures are dropping quite quickly in the evenings and although I still only sleep with a sheet, I have begun to wear a jumper. We had a little rain on laylatul-qadr and it rained this morning before and during the Eid prayer. The sky has looked gloomy and gray for the past few days although there have been sunny breaks sneaking though, warming up the days and reminding us that summer is not quite ready to say goodbye. Walking to school in the mornings has become quite a treat. The temp is just right and the view I get over most of Amman as I walk down the hill is amazing - the smell of the goats is not so, but I guess that's just the way it is. Al-hamdoulillah.

I won't be leaving tomorrow on our trip. Al-hamdoulillah we pushed it back one day just incase Eid happened to be tomorrow (Wednesday). So I guess I can get all my homework out of the way tomorrow and have a relatively grammar-free few days. I am very excited Al-hamdouillah.

As I write this I'm listening to the Maghrib adhan which signals the end to the first day of Eid (in the Islamic calender the new day begins at nightfall). Just sublime masha'allah. May Allah swt protect you all and draw you to the sirat al-mustaqeen.

Much love, many hugs, Eid greetings and ma'a salama.

No comments: