Thursday, March 5, 2009

21 Days

Egypt is cold this week, very cold. Currently I’m sitting on my couch wearing trackies, thick snow socks, a thermal top, two jumpers and a cap – and I’m still cold. My feet are numb and my nose is starting to run... Whoever told me Egypt was warm even in winter was a big fat liar... Wouldn’t mind having the thermals back that I gave away in Jordan, but at least I still have my Uggs...

Last weekend went shopping for clothes in Giza, which was an interesting experience. Got some good deals on some skirts, so I left happy. After shopping we decided to go eat, but we needed an atm first. So we (the four of us) decided to get an Egyptian motorcycle taxi – let me make this very clear, they are not made for four reasonable sized women.... After having to back in butt first, I ended up on the lap of one of the girls - my own legs hanging out the side of the cab – which if you know anything about Egyptian driving/traffic, you know I am very lucky to still be connected to my dear little legs. Three near misses later – yes on each occasion my legs were almost crushed, first by a bus, secondly by a motocycle, and thirdly by a parked car – we got to the back, and after a brief argument with the driver who wanted us to pay more than we’d agreed because he’d worked out we were foreign we got some money and finally grabbed some food. Now I just need to find a tailor who won’t charge me an arm and a leg to get my skirts taken up...

Other than shopping, my week has been the same as every other week. Class, homework, sleep, class, homework, sleep... you get the picture. Been trying to find a freighting company to get some stuff home, but it is so unbelievably expensive here – more than Jordan even. Oh and I got cornbraids – hurt like hell! Thank God I have white woman hair, if it were a necessity to go through that every week or two I’d probably just shave my head! Does look nice though.

Much Love and Ma’a Salama

No comments: