Wednesday, September 17, 2008

First Day.

So, today was the first day of classes (well, actually for me it is just "class" - only one). It seemed to go relatively well. My class is dominated by blokes (there are 8/9 of them, and only me and one other girl), but they seem quiet - unlikely to totally dominate classes like has happened in past levels. Kheir insha'allah we'll see what happens.
The teacher has decided to impose a new and funky grading system on us - basically, instead of getting your heighest marks on various assignments as your class mark, you will now be getting the lowest score as your mark. I think he's trying to motivate us to work consistently - but I'm not to sure how its going to work in practice... What if someone has an off day?

I organised my tajweed classes today. I think I'm going to do one hour three days a week and two hours on one day of the week. I'll have to finalise with the teacher tomorrow - this of course all depends on how much she is charging me ;)

So after class I decided to go shopping with one of my flatties - she bought some really beautiful hijabs (I was very restrained... I bought nothing. Possibly because I've found that buying food here is about 50% more expensive then when I left 3 months ago subhan'allah). After shopping we came home and decided that we'd go out for iftar - so we sat on the couch in the lounge for about 2 hours trying to decide what to do, then the adhan went off... and we were still sitting there lol. Finally we decided to go to Mecca Mall (have I yet outlined my intense dislike for Amman's malls?) where we had a snack and then my flattie did a little more shopping (she's going home for a visit and to spend Eid with her family on Friday insha'allah. Very exciting for her). Finally got home, then collapsed on the lounge again and chatted for about 2 hours - lets just say I'm very very tired right now!

Ended up going to the community iftar last night - it was quite nice, probably about 100 women and children there. We were on the roof of the zawiya (building used for Islamic lessons etc) so there was a nice breeze and we had a great view of the full moon. It was stunning.

My little legs are super sore from the long (and hot and dehydrating) walk to school today. I can't sit, stand or walk without agony! Insha'allah I'll wake up to less pain.

In other sad news, my facebook was changed over to the new format today. I'm very upset.

So I'm off to bed for another night of sub-5-hour sleep.

Insha'allah all are doing well. I'm missing home (already I know I'm such a baby).

Much love and ma'a salama.

No comments: