Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Al-beled

Couple of days ago I went on my own little adventure in downtown Amman. See pictures below for brief recap.

Started at Jebel al-Qala’a (the Citadel) – apparently it is the highest hill in Amman which it doesn’t really appear to be so because from the top you still look “up” at other hills (note, there is not any part of Amman that is not a hill, my legs are so sore). Anyway, it is the site of ancient Rabbath-Ammon, there are ruins of a fortress and agora on one side of the hill and the ruins of a Umayyad palace on the other side.

Ruins of fortress and agora.

Umayyad palace – domed audience hall

Umayyad palace – Courtyard

Umayyad palace – Colonaded street

Umayyad palace – residential and administrative buildings

Can you spot the well in the first one?

Temple of Hercules – built by Marcus Aurelius

Assorted items from the National Archaeological Museum.


From here we walked to the Roman Theatre.

This one is taken from Jebel al-Qala'a

I walked all the way up. *yay* I'm still feeling it two days on!

From the Roman Theatre we went to the vege market, then late-lunch, then sweets, then the mall (food shopping), then finally home. We left at 10am, got back home at 10pm – I think I’m sill recovering.

Went back downtown yesterday to buy some prayer clothes and such - not such a long journey. I have orientation and my test today… Make du’a for me please.

Reading a really good book at the moment – something to think on…

“When the historical record prevails, it will be recalled that the most serious threat to the world has always been racism and bigotry. Is it that ignorance of the record produces bigotry, or does bigotry exist independent of any record? In any case, the cost of ignorance is always the denial of dignity”. (Abou El Fadl, 2001)

Masjid an-Nur at maghrib

Ma’a salama.

No comments: