Saturday, December 22, 2007

C-Town, A Football Game and Road Closures

Today was the day of my first great adventure in Amman

The morning was fairly uneventful (other than speaking with the pez) so at about 4pm we headed off to C-Town. When we arrived it wasn’t to busy (like Coles at mid-peak). I got my groceries, which came to 70JD and I didn’t even get everything on “the list”, then some of the other girls arrived and we waited with them till they finished their shop. So around 6pm we went outside to get a cab home. After waiting for about 15mins we managed to get a cab for all but two of us (too much of a squish with 2 babies – although after the things I’ve seen today I would say the driver would not have been fussed to take us all at once). So one of the girls and I waited for another cab. It hit 7pm and every taxi had refused to take us, so we decided to go get something to eat. Back inside the shops it took about 30mins to get a table (we were waiting and this lady just sat down even though she could see we’d been waiting for the table, so we just sat and ignored her as she bitched on us until she moved). So then my friend went to get us some Maccas (that else?) 30mins later she comes back with food after having an argument about the bloke making the cheese burger without meat or pickle (in the end all he made was a bun with tomato sauce, don’t know where the cheese got to), then another argument of some kind about her burger and then another about her drink. So we ate and went back outside – it was 8.15pm By 9.15pm we were still waiting for a cab – there were plenty but they refused to take us to “the Hay”. It was sooo bloody cold. My glasses were constantly fogged up – much to the amusement of the many kids. Anyway, at 9.45pm we finally managed to get a cab. The traffic was crazy, hardly moving. Apparently there had been a football game on and the police had closed down our suburb. Joy! You think they might make mention of it, but no, just leave you to find out the hard way!

So I’m home. Bit upset with the girl who arrived today who left dirty cups and dishes in the sink. I think I’ll talk to her tomorrow night – I’m not here to be anyone’s washer-lady! So yeah, I have my first flat mate, she’s from America (paki background). Apparently she had her brother here today as well which I’m not to impressed about since the rules clearly state “no male visitors” regardless of their relation to you. Hmm. I think I’ll call the housing coordinator and ask them to spell the rules out to her. Kheir insha’allah.

So tired. Another adventure tomorrow… Hopefully involving fewer rude Arabs and more sightseeing and history. *yay*

Ma’a Salama

1 comment:

Unknown said...

heyyyy
wats c-town? i would assume CHINAtown... but ur in the arab land. and the idea of chinatown in the middle of arab land is just tooo bizaree for me to imagine :D
so, wats chinatown?